A gorilla trekking experience in Kahuzi Biega National Park, which home to the Eastern Lowland gorillas in Democratic republic of Congo, will allow you to discover many wonderful and unique characteristics and behaviorism’s of these magnificent creatures.
Eastern lowland gorillas are one of Africa’s most beloved of primates and this is made obvious by the sheer number of international travelers who come to visit the continent for an African safari experience. Eastern lowland gorillas can only be seen in the Democratic republic of Congo in the famous national park of Kahuzi Biega. The Eastern Lowland gorilla can be trekked for a minimum duration of 3 days, which is offered to explorers as the Lowland gorilla Tour.
The terrain of the gorillas is spread out over two famous Mountain ranges that were once active volcanoes, Mount Kahuzi and Mount Biega and also within the valleys of the park, which is where the gorilla trekking is done.
Here are some fun facts about the Eastern lowland gorillas in Kahuzi Biega national park:
1) They are largely herbivorous and eat a wide range of plants, fruits, seeds, leaves, stems and barks as well as ants, termites and other insects
2) Eastern lowland gorillas are the largest on average of all gorilla subspecies
3) Males can weigh 250 kilograms and can reach two metres tall when standing
4) Visitors are allowed one hour with the lowland gorilla, and during this hour you can watch them feeding and playing with their young ones. After this special experience, trekkers are invited to visit to the local community to meet the people who inhabitant the forest and who were previously living with the lowland gorillas.
5) The main threat to these lowland gorillas in Kahuzi Biega National park is the habitat loss from illegal logging, agriculture and illegal settlements; poaching and wildlife trade of mainly baby gorillas and mining for coltan as explained.
6) Through observing the gorillas in the wild, we learnt that they will make a new nest from the vegetation for every night, and that the young gorillas will share their mother’s nest until they are about three years old.
For the ultimate primate safari discover what the Democratic republic of the Congo has to offer, experience not only the lowland gorillas but also the Chimpanzee Tracking in Nyungwe forest national park – a park that is the home to over 10 Species of primates in Africa!
Don’t miss the chance to visit the eastern lowland gorillas in their local habitat with the most reliable safari company.
How to Get to Kahuzi Biega National Park in Congo
Majority of safaris and tours to Kahuzi Biega national park start from Rwanda with pickups from Kigali international airport or Cyangugu town. However, some visitors opt to fly directly to Goma international airport using Ethiopian airline and later connect to the park with a help of a tour guide.
Alternatively, you may choose to board a flight from Kigali Airport Rwanda and land in Goma Airport in Democratic Republic of Congo. From Goma, you will drive for about 230km to connect to Kahuzi Biega the national park for your next activities.
Those interested in driving from Kigali Rwanda, it takes about 6 to 7 hours to connect to Kamembe in Cyangugu town via the Rusizi I road. After crossing the borders at Goma and Bukavu, you will drive for another 1½ hours to get to the national park.
Kahuzi Biega National Park is located just 30 Kms from Bukavu Town and it takes 1½ hours drive to enter into the national park. The park can be accessed by road and by air however travelers should take note that from kavumu airport and at Miti, take left and keep driving straight until when you reach the visitor centre.
Accommodation in Kahuzi- Biega National Park.
Accommodation facilities with in and around Kahuzi Biega national park range from Budget, Mid-range and Luxury. Services at different hotels and lodges can be customized to best suite your travel demands. Such hotels and lodges include; Mount Kahuzi Hotel, Lakeside Hotel Bukavu, Lodge Coco, Orchids Safari Club, Hotel Begonias and Hotel Exodus Bukavu among others.